How to Calibrate a Blood Pressure Cuff?
hi I’m dr. Margaret Collins Hill with
consults and hypertension in Wilmington
North Carolina the question this evening
is how to calibrate a blood pressure
cuff making sure that your blood
pressure machine is accurate is very
important because small differences can
make a difference in what medications
may be adjusted most people when they
have a home machine it’s very much like
this one an electronic device
these are much easier to use when you’d
like to measure your blood pressure
yourself generally the cuffs have velcro
that you can close over your arm with
one hand and all you have to do to
measure the blood pressure is to press a
button that’s all you need to do in
doctors offices we use a manual device
like this aneroid wall unit right here
in this case you need special training
and generally another person to measure
blood pressure the cuff goes around the
arm in the same way but you have to
listen over the artery to hear the
pulsations come and go to know what the
blood pressure readings are when we talk
about calibrating a device it implies
zeroing out of scale or actually
changing the machinery this isn’t really
what we do with these devices in my
hypertension clinic I have my patients
bring their home machine in on several
different visits and we make readings
from their home machine and then against
the wall unit at the same time under the
same circumstances it’s okay if these
units vary what you want is consistency
I would rather have a blood pressure
machine that reads 10 points high every
time rather than one that reads
perfectly but not every time when you’re
checking your blood pressure at home you
want to be sure and follow proper
technique and write down all of the
values that you obtain having values
from different times of day and
different circumstances will help your
doctor adjust your medications both in
dose and in timing if you’re worried
about your blood pressure machine bring
it in and have your doctor check it
against the manual device in general you
can buy these machines over-the-counter
without much difficulty between $30 and
$100 in general the wrist machines and
finger machines are more
offensive and less accurate so it’s
better to choose one with an arm cuff
you also need to be sure that the arm
cuff fits you properly because in
particular if the cuff is too small
you’ll get a high reading when you’re
getting a blood pressure reading you
also want to hold your arm at the level
of your heart if you’re not sure where
think about the Pledge of Allegiance lay
your hand over your heart and then raise
your other arms so they’re equal that’s
the position you want to be in if your
arm is lower blood is running down
running downstream and you’ll get a high
similarly you can’t raise the arm and
cheat so to recap to calibrate your
blood pressure cuff is really to measure
against another source of blood pressure
measurement to be sure that they match
reasonably and that the blood pressure
readings are consistent be sure that you
get a good machine try to get one with
an arm cup and make sure it fits if you
have any questions bring your machine to
several visits to see how the
consistency holds up
- Trusted brand - Omron is the #1 recommended home blood pressure monitor brand by doctors and pharmacists for clinically-accurate home monitoring, and the #1 selling manufacturer of home blood pressure monitors for over 40 years.
- Unlimited memory and users with the free app - The Omron gold wrist monitor stores 200 total blood pressure readings for 2 users (100 per user, most of any Omron wrist blood pressure monitor). Memory and users are unlimited with the Omron connect free app which works with amazon alexa-enabled devices (on select IOS & android devices).
- High morning average indicator – Among Omron Amazon-exclusive blood pressure monitors, this feature is unique to the Gold and Platinum monitors. The indicator alerts the user if systolic or diastolic measurements are out of normal range in the morning, when there is a higher risk for heart attack or stroke.
- Dual display with backlight - The Omron Platinum monitor features a backlit dual-display LCD monitor with easy navigation that allows the user to immediately compare the current reading to the previous reading. The backlight feature is only available with the Platinum Monitor.
- AC adapter included - The Omron Ac Adapter eliminates the worry of changing batteries in your Omron Blood Pressure Monitor. The convenient AC adapter helps make sure your monitor is ready whenever you are.
- Note - Blood pressure varies constantly due to many factors including stress, time of day, and how you wrap the cuff. These factors may affect your blood pressure.
Professional Blood Pressure Monitor Review
Having a professional blood pressure monitor in your home makes it easier to monitor your blood pressure, while also providing you with a constant, reliable reference. Although you may not need to use your home BP monitor, it is still important that you have it to monitor your pressure regularly. A home monitor is often more reliable than a medical BP monitor, since there is less risk of a medical emergency arising as a result of inaccurate readings.
There are a few different models of blood pressure monitor available. You may find a BP monitor that looks like a standard blood pressure cuff or one that looks like a wristwatch. Either way, your home blood pressure monitor is going to have some basic features that will help you monitor your blood pressure in the home. The key feature is the display, which tells you your pressure.
A blood pressure monitor with a display screen is designed to be read from a relatively small distance, such as the side of a cuff or wristwatch. Blood pressure monitors with a large screen are best used in large public places or in high blood pressure settings. You will want a larger screen to avoid an over-expansion of the numbers on the screen. You will also want to make sure the monitor is easy to read in bright sunlight.
Another feature to look for in a blood pressure monitor is an alarm. This is used to tell you when your pressure is too high or too low. Most professional monitors will have a number of different levels, ranging from the lowest to the highest reading, so you can keep track of how your pressure is doing. Most monitors will also display your results in a color chart so you can see the levels in a clear, easy-to-read chart. You will also want to be able to reset your monitor so you can read the results in the same color scale on another monitor.
Your blood pressure monitor should be easy to use. The cuff that you use should be comfortable and easily adjustable. You should also be able to read the monitor with only a little finger pressure. This makes it easy to read the results from your home BP monitor. If the cuff is too loose, your pressure may read incorrectly.
A blood pressure monitor is a valuable tool for helping you monitor your blood pressure in the home. If you have a medical condition or have ever had a medical emergency, having a professional blood pressure monitor near your home is essential to keeping an eye on your pressure.
Last update on 2020-09-27 / Disclaimer: as an Amazon Associate a Community Clinic Association team earns from qualifying purchases.